nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] 6. Looking South (David Consolvo) from Issue 14

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] 6. Looking South (David Consolvo) from Issue 14
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:02:04 -0500

6. Looking South (David Consolvo)
Subject:
[NAFEX] Looking South
From:
"David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
Date:
12/14/2011 8:12 AM

To:
North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

To cover my bases, I've been looking somewhat south as well for what other
people
grow, in case steady warming continues. The jury is still out for me so far
on
southern pecans and muscadine grapes. There's been mixed success with various
figs and Asian persimmons. The big success has been fuzzy kiwifruit; for a
couple
of years now the production from just two vines has been so prolific I've had
enough extra to sell the only local fuzzies in Charlottesville. Heck, I can
only eat
several bushels per winter.

Thanks to Michael McConkey at Edible Landscaping for the short-season
varieties
Elmwood and Saanichton.

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia

I am not too far from you, David, but am a little further east (downhill towards the end of the Piedmont).

I have a Fuyu Persimmon that is doing okay. I'm not fond of fuzzy kiwis so not an issue for me. Figs are in pots or protected. The ones in open ground freeze to the ground.

My Ison Muscadine is doing well!

Zone 6b/7a
Barbara Rosholdt

  • [nafex ibiblio list] 6. Looking South (David Consolvo) from Issue 14, Rosholdt, 12/19/2011