nafex - Re: [NAFEX] For those with experience with yellowhorn (Xanthocerus) - crown-spread question..

  • From: Steve Herje <loneroc1@gmail.com>
  • To: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] For those with experience with yellowhorn (Xanthocerus) - crown-spread question..
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 22:05:45 -0600

Hi Steve,

I can't imagine a worse plant near a walkway (from the plant's point of
view). Xanthoceras is the most brittle bush I know of. Plant it away from
any traffic.

Loneroc SW WI

On Nov 20, 2011 8:19 PM, "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Hello Steve,
TN is a long way from NJ but here is our experience for what it's
worth. We planted maybe 15 seedlings in deep bottomland along a creek. The
flowers are beautiful but those that bloomed early were subject to late
frosts. And the humidity here caused foliar damage.
Ours might have reached 10 ft. in 10 years but branched low down. It
would have taken some training to keep the branching at 6ft. Hector
Black zone 6 TN