nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy pomegranate - horticulture questions..

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy pomegranate - horticulture questions..
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:21:25 -0500 (EST)

Group:
>From following the dialogue regarding hardy pomegranate cultivars, it looks
>like, so far (2011), cv. 'Kazake' is the most appropriate for zone 6b - this
>based the experiences of various NAFEX members growing pomegranate varieties
>in USDA zone 6 and 7.
No matter what, it will eventually suffer a complete die-back to the
root-crown, some years. If I plant it in a spot where there is only 9-inches
of soil, then an impenetrable rock-layer, would this limit the chances of the
pomegranate developing a good enough root-system for coming back, after it
dies to the ground?
I'm going to try to grow these, with minimal protection:

pomegranate cv. 'Kazake'
black mulberry (Morus nigra) cv. 'Black Beauty' - I'll steep it so that it's
on its own roots.
common fig cv. 'LSU-Purple'
common fig cv. 'Hardy Chicago'
Afghan fig (Ficas afghanistanica) - cutting from Clifford England, England
Orchard & Nursery - Kentucky

Thanks,
Steve - NJ, 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Hardy pomegranate - horticulture questions.., Steven Covacci, 11/20/2011