nafex - [NAFEX] strange mulberry leaf.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex list <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] strange mulberry leaf.
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:09:56 -0400

I was wondering if any of you crazy fruit explorers have seen a
mulberry with a leaf like this. It looked like a Morus alba, but the
sinus lobing is way deeper than any I've seen, the lobes are very
straight, and there's no small teeth at all. I've seen 2 trees in the
Ann Arbor area that looked like this, both obviously self-seeded, one
in a fencerow by a cemetary and one behind a dumpster. Both were young
and vigorous. I know mulberry leaves change significantly with
vigor/age, but I've never seen anything like this on any of the
mulberries I've seen.

Is it another variety or species?

-matt
z5 seMI