nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT - Zuchinni pollenation

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT - Zuchinni pollenation
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:26:01 -0400

On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Caren Kirk wrote:

The variety I planted is a italian striped zucchini (striato di Napoli), as I used to plant this 4 years or so ago and get huge crops

Well, so much for my best theories. If it's the same variety that did well for you before, obviously the variety isn't the problem. And if you only have male flowers, then suggesting hand pollination won't help a bit.

At least, not unless there's something wrong with this year's seed. You could contact the company you bought the seed from, and ask them whether they've had any similar complaints. Beyond that, I have no guess; other than the very vague "maybe it's something to do with this year's weird weather, which has been differently weird in different places but weird in some fashion about everywhere".