nafex - [NAFEX] OT - Zuchinni pollenation

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] OT - Zuchinni pollenation
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:19:47 -0400

For two years in a row I basically have had zero zuchinni prtoduction. I thought that last year I was potentially overcrowding them in my main vegetable bed (however they had been happy there in the past), so this year I gave them a whole separate bed. Despite an abundance of blossoms they will not set fruit. So I am questioning if any pollenators are visiting them.

Other vegetables are being pollenated at the same time (e.g. eggplant, tomtaoes, cucumbers, beans) so there must be some pollenators around. I've seen on the internet about hand-pollenating them but to be honest, it seems like a lot of hard work in the middle of summer.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks,

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome QC