nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Self fertile Nanking Cherry

  • From: David Malas <info4today@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Self fertile Nanking Cherry
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

The Nanking Cherry "Orient" was described as being a self-fertile variety. I
bought one from Henry Field about 25-30 years ago and grew it here in
Minneapolis. I imagine the birds scattered the seeds far and wide. I no
longer have it, but, yes, some are self-fertile. There would be a few
stragglers of this cultivar around. I'm told that it will also pollinate the
Manchurian apricot varietes, too, which some people attempt to grow in the
nortern plains.

David Malas,
Minneapolis