nafex - [NAFEX] Dying tree

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dying tree
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:15:27 -0300

One tree in my orchard has decided to die in the past few days, and I have no
idea what
could be the cause. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated. The tree in
question is cv.
Gideon, on Ottawa-3 rootstock, about 7 years old. It has suddenly wilted -
all the leaves are
drooping, the fruit is starting to dry up and wrinkle. It is not black, nor
are there shepherd
crook deformities to suggest fireblight. It is just wilting. The trunk
looks entirely intact. No
sign of borers, (which I do have elsewhere in the orchard). No holes
suggestive of voles
eating the roots. Tree on either side look fine. There are a number of
healthy-looking root
suckers springing up, suggesting to me that the roots are in fact OK, and the
problem lies in
something plugging the vascular channels above ground, eg. a fungal disease -
are there
such things? I very much doubt that there is anything I can do to save this
tree, but what
should I do in terms of management at this point? (cut it off at ground
level and use one of
the root suckers to build a new tree? Dig the whole thing up and examine the
root system for
a clue? Any other suggestions?