nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging grapes

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging grapes
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 12:58:12 -0400

Randy, I tried ziploks and they rotted. I have heard of people using both
brown paper bags and organza bags on grapes with success.

Organza bags are mesh bags with excellent air circulation. Hal Love who
sometimes posts here has found them to work very well for him. I bought some
organza bags for my grapes and will be seeing how they work this year. They
are on the expensive side, about 20 cents each, but can be used for several
years. Go to http://www.yourorganzabag.com for example to order them. I
bought 6x9 for small clusters and 8x12 for large clusters.

Another treatment for the stink bugs is to spray Surround, but it doesn't
wash off very easily (on the other hand its perfectly OK to eat it). I use
it on my peaches to keep the stink bug damage under control.

Scott z7 MD