nafex - Re: [NAFEX] trapping rabbits?

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] trapping rabbits?
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:37:58 -0600

I get my fencing products from Stockyards Ranch Supply in Commerce City,
CO. I live in Denver, so it's one of the closest ranch supply stores for
me. I got the pricing wrong, it's $24.90 for the 18" but only $16.90 for
the 12". They have many more sizes, and if 2" hexagonal spaces work for you
(as opposed to 1" ones), the prices are even cheaper. You can see their
catalog here: http://www.stockyardsupply.com/ What I refer to as chicken
wire is more accurately called poultry netting.

They've also had the best deal in town on concrete remesh (useful for making
tomato cages and some espalier applications), but this spring they raised
their remesh prices a bit. Prior to the price increase a 5'x150' roll was
about $68 while it was near $100 at Home Depot.

Most of you probably know this, but for those who don't, I've found that
ranch and farm supply stores are much better places to shop for fencing,
trellising, and other post and wire related products than big box stores
are. That said, for stakes to hold my chicken wire in place, I use 1/2"
galvanized EMT conduit which costs about $2 per 10' length at big box
stores. Just cut and/or bend it into whatever length or shape you need.
For my strawberries I bend it into U shapes that are wide enough to cross
the bed. The actual shape consists of 3 straight sides with 90 degree turns
between them. Each leg of the U goes into the ground about a foot, the
above ground vertical portions receive the chicken wire via cable ties, and
the horizontal portion helps keep the bird netting off the top of my
plants. I use clothes pins to hold the bird netting in place, but I don't
usually install the bird netting until I have ripe berries to protect.

All the best,
Chris Kennel
Denver, CO