nafex - [NAFEX] Getting More Flavor in Strawberries

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Getting More Flavor in Strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:18:48 -0700

It may be a result of the variety I chose ('Aromas') but the strawberry I
just harvested was only marginally better than a supermarket strawberry. I
just used potting soil. Haven't fertilized. Is there a fertilizer or
supplement I could be using that would help bump up the flavor? I have a
couple 'Mara des Bois' strawberries and they have a better taste so I'm sure
some of it is down to the variety you choose to grow but I imagine there
have to be some tricks I'm missing.

Megan Lynch

http://www.meganlynch.net

South Pasadena, CA Zone 9