nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting More Flavor in Strawberries

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting More Flavor in Strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:25:35 -0400

I have never grown Aroma but flavor in strawberries is extremely dependent on variety.

What I usually recommend for best flavor is Sparkle, but I have no idea how they would do in zone 9 CA.

Soil can also affect it -- are you growing them in pots? is that why they're in potting soil? I haven't done that either and don't know what kind of soil mix is recommended for strawberries in pots, but a mix meant just to start plants might be short on nutrients to grow them to fruit. Too much nitrogen can give a bland flavor, though; so can too much water, or not enough sun.