nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: transplanting a young apple tree

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: transplanting a young apple tree
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 08:07:40 -0400

I transplanted the tree yesterday. I was very surprised when I pulled out
the old tree, as the top was still alive (but completely dormant.) As I
described below, the bark turned brown and a little wrinkled below the point
of the infection, and the trunk (stem? It was only about 3/4 inch thick)
looked dead, and some of the woody parts of the root system looked rotted.
But ABOVE the wound the bark looked okay, and when I damaged the bark a
little pulling it out, the cambium looked green and healthy. I took some
photos if anyone is curious.

The dead tree was either and Ashmeads Kernal on M7 of a GOlden Russet on G30,
alas, my records don't say which it was, and the tag is completely illegible.

Ginda
who checked the irrigation system yesterday, as presumably the newly
transplanted -- already leafed out tree -- will need a lot of water this year.

p.s. Besides "lots of water", any advice for helping the new tree, which is
a Karmijn de Sonneville on M7?

Begin forwarded message: