nafex - [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 19:53:47 -0400

Last spring I planted an apple tree in a spot that doesn't get enough light.

Last summer a young apple tree died in a spot that gets more light. I'm not
sure what it died from. I tried to trim away a "stump" from a cleft graft,
and it looked like the tree was infected at the wound and the infection
spread killing the tree. I wondered if it might be fireblight, but I didn't
see anything that looked like the descriptions I've read of fireblight, the
stem just sort of turned dark and died.

Can I pull out that tree and move the other one to its spot? What is the
best time to to that? Any special concerns?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6, where the apples are in full bloom. (as is everything
else)