nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Livestock in Orchards-Many orchards in neglected state, aerial study finds

  • From: Deb S <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Livestock in Orchards-Many orchards in neglected state, aerial study finds
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 17:30:16 -0400

I have had a variety of livestock. Chickens and geese are fine for
the orchard, but I would not put equines or ruminants in an orchard.
Besides toxicity issues to the livestock (e.g. wilted cherry leaves
and branches are lethal), some livestock will strip leaves and bark
(sheep, goats) and rub on and break branches and bark (cattle, hogs).

I expect equines would also be really hard on trees, but don't have
direct experience.

deb