nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Livestock in Orchards-Many orchards in neglected state, aerial study finds

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Livestock in Orchards-Many orchards in neglected state, aerial study finds
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 10:59:29 -0400

On May 7, 2011, at 9:56 AM, Naomi Counides wrote:

Yes, somewhere along I read that branches started at 5 feet. If you have
livestock you know why. Branches below that would get pruned for lunch. Our
dwarf and semi dwarfs.. I do not know if they were the reason for moving the
livestock or resulted as from having done so.

Some of the difference, at least in the USA, is recent ideas about sanitation. While they wouldn't preclude having livestock in the orchard some of the year, if the fruit ripens at different times following currently recommended standards would mean keeping livestock out for much of the growing season.

Yes, I know: the fruit is up in the air. I didn't write those recommendations!