nafex - [NAFEX] Asian Pear grafting: Which is more fire blight susceptible - Asian pear cv. Yoinashi or OH-513 rootstock?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian Pear grafting: Which is more fire blight susceptible - Asian pear cv. Yoinashi or OH-513 rootstock?
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 00:18:10 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

I'm planning on producing a multi-graft Asian pear tree; I want to make sure
that the 'frame' is as fire blight resistant so that if i loose one or more
cultivars, the frame and roosystem remains in place for future grafting of
alternate cultivars.

I was considering using Callery pear as the root-stock, then grafting OH-513
as an interstem between the roostock and the FIRST cultivar, being Asian pear
cv. 'Yoinashi' because I believe (is it?) that 'Yoinashi' is no more fire
blight susceptible then OH-513 and that its a particularly resistant cultivar
of Asian pear.

However, if (is it?) OH-513 is more disease resistant then 'Yoinashi' in the
northeast, then I'll grow out a frame of several limbs using OH-513 so that I
have a frame that will persist should 'Yoinashi' and 'Chojuro' and other
comparatively disease-resistant cultivars fail.

So, which is more fire blight resistant: OH x 513 or 'Yoinashi' (or some
other highly resistant Asian pear cultivar instead)?

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Asian Pear grafting: Which is more fire blight susceptible - Asian pear cv. Yoinashi or OH-513 rootstock?, Steven Covacci, 05/04/2011