nafex - [NAFEX] Do your Asian persimmons/Kaki graft-reject on D. virginiana or D. lotus rootstock? Data...

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Do your Asian persimmons/Kaki graft-reject on D. virginiana or D. lotus rootstock? Data...
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 00:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

For all who grow Asian persimmon (D. kaki) and have had their trees for OVER
15 years that are on either D. lotus or D. virginiana rootstock....

Please describe your LONG-term experience with Asian persimmon on D. lotus
(date-plum) or D. virginiana (Americana persimmon) roostock. List cultivar,
roostock (D. lotus or D. virginiana), and age of tree/graft.

Some say that their trees reject after 10 to 15 years; I suspect either graft
rejection due to incongruence between the scion and understock, eventually
being made manifest OR perhaps... borers, that are attracted to the scaring
between the two - which could, if so, be treated.

Notes: D. kaki and D. lotus are 90-chromosome species, yet some describe a
difference in graft-compatability (inter-specific) between astringent D. kaki
and D. lotus and non-astringent D. kaki and D. lotus. D. virginiana is
either 60-c or 90-c (northern strain); only the 90-c strain will be suitable
for D. kaki, being of like number. I'm not sure if I recall that some
cultivars (astringent or non-astringent) are not suitable for being placed
upon D. virginiana.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 7a/6b