nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wood chips

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wood chips
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:22:04 -0600

I have similar wood chips around apricot, peach, plum, cherry, and pluot
trees, and they've done well. Out here in the arid west, the chips help
keep the soil nicely moist, and it is easy to remove errant grass plants and
weeds that invade the spaces under my trees. I've been using them for 5
years so far. The bottom layer of chips slowly degrades into nice black
dirt that earthworms like. I think they also keep the soil a bit cooler
which may help delay blooming--a nice thing since we get a lot of late
frosts.

Chris Kennel
Denver, CO