nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wood chips

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wood chips
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:41:32 -0400

Jerry,
If you do a Google search on "Ramial wood chips" you will find a lot of
information on this. In general, if the chips are mostly from hard wood of
a diameter no more than 2 inches, they will be good to put around your
fruit trees. Chips from resinous wood is considered as not so good, but I
am not too sure of the reason. Some of the early research on this is from a
team in Laval University in Quebec about 20 years ago. I know my friend
Celine Caron also wrote things about this for MOFGA a while back.
You may look at this article for a start:
http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/Pubs/Wood%20Chips%20in%20Vegetable%20Produc
tion.pdf
Claude

A 16:34 11.03.24 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>As a result of the power company doing some trimming around our power
lines, I got a load of really nice clean wood chips. I will use them on
our path, but will have lots left over. Is there any problem using them as
mulch around my fruit trees? Jerry in southern Indiana