nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dwarf sour cherry

  • From: Neil Lewis <lewisn@georgetown.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dwarf sour cherry
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:37:43 -0400

I grow a North Star sour cherry here in Maryland, zone 7, and agree with everything Pete Tallman says. It's a good choice for a small sour cherry.

Neil Lewis

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steven Covacci<filtertitle@aol.com>
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Looking for a dwarf sour cherry (P. cerasus)
recommendation...

Gentlemen:

I'd like to grow a dwarf sour cherry tree (P. cerasus); I'm not really that
into the sour cherry (plum) bushes. I noticed recent discussion on the
'Joel' bush cherry (plum) inter-specific hybrid - to me, that one has a
worthless fruit, until it is dried; it makes a good partially dried fruit.

So, for a sour cherry tree that remains small, I'm considering the cultivar
'North Star'. I live in zone 6b/7a, so cold-hardniess is not the biggest
concern. Does anyone recommend a different dwarf sour cherry cultivar?

(p.s. let me know of planting a sour cherry over light-gray landscaping
pavers is a bad idea, or will the stains wash away when it rains?)

Thanks,
Steve

New Jersey
USDA Zone 6b/7a

begin:vcard
fn:Neil Lewis
n:Lewis;Neil
org:Georgetown University;Department of Philosophy
email;internet:lewisn@georgetown.edu
title:Associate Professor of Philosophy and Director of Graduate Admissions
tel;work:202-687-4529
version:2.1
end:vcard