nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:25:29 -0400

Steve, I planted a M. nigra cultivar (Kokuso? from Cliff England) at my
parent's house in western Michigan, zone 5. They moved it 3 times, once a
year, because they didn't like where it was. ;) However, it survived each
winter, with some lows to -15 with very little dieback. It also made very
little growth, whether due to constant disruption of it's roots or winter
cold, I don't know. Got a handful of fruit each year from a tree that was
about 3 feet high. Absolutely the best mulberries I've ever had, and I've
tried every M. alba I see around here. Anyways, it made it through 3 winters
before it succumbed.

I would suspect you would get decent results in your zone, especially if you
choose a cultivar that you know someone in the NE is growing. It seems some
are less hardy than others, as with most things.

-matt
z5 se MI