nafex - [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 02:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

Gentlemen:

I'd like to risk planting a black mulberry (M. nigra) in zone 6b/7a NJ. I'd
keep it pruned to around 15' if it makes it. What would I do to ensure it
survives 6b winters at their worst? I'll steep it to get it on its own roots
so that if (when) it dies back, it'll re-sprout from a strong root-system.

Secondly, I'd like to plant a red mulberry (M. rubra). Would there be
long-term graft incompatibility between the scion and a rootstock of Russian
variety M. alba? Will it grow exceedingly wide and large, grown in some
competition from the sides from persimmon trees, in New Jersey? I hear they
have short-life spans these days due to uv-radiation.

Thanks,
Steve
Zone 6b/7a NJ