nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter protection for Morus nigra (black mulberry) in zone 6b; and M. rubra question.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:06:07 -0500

M.rubra is compatible with M.alba. I'm unaware of delayed incompatibility
issues, but don't have any old,old grafts of any M.rubra selections, so
can't make any hard and fast proclamations.
Open-grown trees of virtually any species are going to be more likely to
adopt a wider-spreading, lower-branching habit than a specimen of the same
species growing in a high stem-density setting, where it must grow more
upright in order to compete for available sunlight.

I don't know who's been feeding you BS about ultraviolet radiation causing
short life spans on any particular plant, but it would be my opinion that
they're full of it - BS, that is.

LLP