nafex - [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:51:06 -0500

Regarding peach rootstock, I found this link.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/peach/orchard/New_and_Emerging_Rootstocks.pdf

also . . . http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/factsheets/F-135.pdf

This section below from the first link above perked my interest. Anyone have any experience grafting peaches to prunus americana? The 2nd link also mentions p. americana as an understock for peach. Sounds like some seedlings are compatible with peach, some are not. Not sure I understand that, but interesting nonetheless.

/"Another option may be selected clones of P. americana, which is a native cold
hardy plum. Currently, open-pollinated seedlings from P. americana genotypes selected for
compatibility with peach are being used as peach rootstocks by several mail order nurseries for
the fruit hobbyist market in the northern U.S."/

***
Krymsk-1 is also perhaps worth a try - cold hardy and tolerant of wetter sites. Cummins began offering this as an understock beginning this year. They sell rootstock in small quantities but don't know if they have any Krymsk-1 still available for this year. I just received a bunch from the tree connection (min. order 50) and will see how they go. Supposedly they are compatible with most prunus except cherries.

Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisconsin