nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rosseyanka

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rosseyanka
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:34:06 EST

In a message dated 3/10/2011 6:32:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mdemmon@gmail.com writes:

> Jerry, I can't remember where you are in Indiana. I think you are in zone
> 6,
> which leads me to believe that I couldn't grow Rosseyanka here in
> southeast
> Michigan zone 5. We live in the country and get some good winter winds,
> have lows to -20 in a bad winter, usually -5 or -10 in a normal winter and
> probably not as much heat or length to the growing season as you. But I
> want
> to try! Think it's worth it? Matt

Hello Matt,

Yes, I encourage you to try it. I'm in zone 5b and we usually get to 0 F
and below every winter. Maybe once in 5 years drop to -20 F. Our record low
is
-31 and Rosseyanka survived with some damage, but now here near fatal. This
winter we had four evenings 0 and slightly below with the coldest it
reached -8. One Green World has it trade marked and available as Russian
Beauty.

Rosseyanka makes wonderful dried fruit. Pick it while still astringent, and
firm, Dec 1, Slice and use a dehydrator. Looses astringency, sweet and
delicious.

Jerry