nafex - Re: [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 13:56:57 -0800 (PST)

Scott, have you tried laying the canes on the ground and mulching them? This
should help tremendously, particularly in areas with reliable snow cover in
the coldest months to help insulate.

Last year both 'Black Pearl' and 'Marion' came through 3 or 4 nights in a row
of ~6 degrees (colder in some spots) without major cold injury issues here in
the Willamette Valley of Oregon. Having said that, it was in early December
when the plants are in their deepest dormancy. Early and late cold snaps seem
to be the biggest problems as the plants take a while in the fall to reach
full dormancy and have relatively short chilling requirements (can't remember
exactly but I think 'Marion' is around 350 hours?) so they tend to wake up in
late winter, particularly if there is nice weather, and be susceptible to
cold then as well. Often times the buds on 'Marion' start to swell in
mid-late January here making the plants particularly susceptible to late cold
snaps like the teens that we had a week and a half ago.

'Black Pearl' is quite a bit less susceptible to these issues than 'Marion'
but this will probably be the biggest problem for trying most of the trailing
types in the mid-atlantic and northeast.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com