nafex - Re: [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:10:26 -0500

Melissa, I had two Black Pearls and both died to the roots and my low was
only about 4F that year which is zone 7. So, zone 6 is a long ways off, I
would put Black Pearl in 7B or 8A.

I am testing many of the new Oregon releases for hardiness; thus far the only
hardy one for me is Metolius but it produced poor tasting fruit in my
climate. In your zone 5 I expect none of the western trailing varieties will
be hardy and I would recommend growing Triple Crown instead. Its not as good
as Marion but it is still a delicious berry both fresh and cooked.

Scott z7a MD