nafex - [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] source for 'Black Pearl' blackberry?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 06:20:09 -0800 (PST)

After thinking for years that blackberries were pointlessly flavorless, I
finally tried some 'Marion' blackberry jam, and now I see the point.
Delicious!

'Marion' is zone 7, and I'm not foolish enough to try growing it here in zone
5. However, the new cultivar 'Black Pearl' supposedly tastes almost the same,
and is reputed to be zone 6, and I might be foolish enough to try that.
However, the only source I see for it is Raintree, and their minimum shipping
is rather a lot for just one plant. Is anyone else selling it, maybe closer
to NY state?

Or, does anyone have an extra plant to spare? I could trade plants from my
small fruit collection, or my larger collection of culinary herbs.

Melissa
zone 5, central NY, under yet another foot of snow as of last night.