nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Will some dogs eat paw paw and plums and get sick?

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Will some dogs eat paw paw and plums and get sick?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:43:46 -0600

While there may be some toxic compounds in pawpaw seeds, I doubt that there
would be any toxicity issues associated with the seeds in dogs consuming
pawpaw fruit - if they consume it. My suspicion is that gut transit time
would be so rapid that there would be little, if any, likelihood of
poisoning, and dogs tend not to chew their food any more than is necessary
to reduce it to a swallowable bolus, hence the seeds would probably remain
intact and contained within the 'envelope' that surrounds them.
While there's no accounting for taste, I wouldn't anticipate that dogs would
be particularly attracted to pawpaws. Any vomiting of consumed fruit would
probably be attributable to the alkaloids/acetogens in the skin of the
fruit.

LLP