nafex - Re: [NAFEX] good tasting paw paws

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] good tasting paw paws
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:24:08 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2011 12:39:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
abhayner@gmail.com writes:

> They are very ornamental, I will give them that, but they certainly won't
> be
> where I have to walk frequently. Why?
> any preferences out there as to superior cultivars?
> any idea of WHAT to do with them, when they start hitting the ground??

Hello Amy,

Sunflower and Prolific are two available in many nurseries that are amoung
the best tasting, highly recommend them. Start enjoying them when they start
hitting the ground. That is when they are usually at the peak of flavor.
Having said that, many folks also like them after the skin starts turning
dark.

There are many recipes for pawpaw. Generally the lower the cooking temp for
shorter time periods the better the flavor comes through. Long cooking and
high heat are flavor killers. Make some pawpaw icecream.

Jerry