nafex - Re: [NAFEX] everbearing strawberries

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] everbearing strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:38:28 -0500

I have had the same problem, here in NC. I thought it had to do with
dryness, and forgetfull watering. I think perhaps the variety has something
to do with it. I planted Eversweet, and it DID bear in July, and the birds
just loved it.
I got one or 2 of them, they were much smaller than the ones it had in the
spring.
I would think if you tried that variety, you would have better success.
If I tried it again... in my climate; I think I would simply pinch off all
the blooms that came on in July, and help the plant conserve energy till
Aug. when we often get some cooler weather, and rain.
Amy
NC, Z8