nafex - Re: [NAFEX] everbearing strawberries

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] everbearing strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:42:32 -0500

Yeah, I think if you can't water them, they will not produce as well. They
may flower, but won't have very many berries unless they are moist and
growing vigorously. Hot dry summers I get very few, but usually get a decent
amount in the fall. Cool moist summers we get them all summer long. I am in
Michigan, so it's a little cooler here. ;) I have mine protected from hot
afternoon sun and they do pretty good. Varieties are Tristar and Tribute, I
think they are newer than some others. I get my plants from Indiana Berry,
and find they have really nice plants for a decent price and accurate
variety descriptions.

Also, everbearers definitely taper off in production, quicker than
June-bearers I think. I get a TON the first year, and usually not as many in
future years. I don't renovate them at all, I just plant them as a temporary
crop under other things like Honeyberry or raspberries.

-matt
z5 SE MI