nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Borers in blackberries

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Borers in blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:36:30 -0600

Deb asked where we all were. I was outside in pretty weather after months of chill and clouds. I have noted that several of my Kiowa blackberries have died entirely without my having noticed due to the crowd of Jerusalem artichokes plants. The redneck borers have done a certain amount of dirty work every year, and probably half the existing canes are infested this year too. I read that they are a big problem for commercial blackberry growers. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't already had a lot of wild blackberries on hand. There is just one plant that looks really good, no borers in any of the canes. I can't figure it out. Any notions on the behavior of these critters? Do they go for stems with more or less shade, or more or less nitrogen? I got a few plants of 2 thornless varieties and they haven't been as vigorous or productive as the Kiowas. Thanks.
Donna Z6 Tenn