nafex - [NAFEX] Spring Hopes Eternal

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spring Hopes Eternal
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:45:18 +0000

Deb asked what is to be tried this season.

This year looms large in my view. I placed an order from Nick Botner for 17
cultivars of apple scions:

Campfield, Court Pendu Plat, D'Arcy Spice, Duchess of Oldenburg, Erwin Baur,
Golden Russet, Greensleeves, Harrison, Karmijn de Sonnaville, King Edward
VII, Lady (Pomme d'Api), Lord Lambourne, Rambour Franc, Red Belle de Boskoop,
Tydeman's Late Orange, Wickson Crab, Winston.
Some of these I plan to graft into my yard and the rest graft into an orchard
near town.

Also ordered for my yard, from Greenmantle: Lord Lambourne benchgrafted onto
Bud9 and D'Arcy Spice benchgrafted onto Bud118 (or Mm111 if they are short of
Bud118).

Two apple experts agreed to send me scionwood, for Granite Beauty from New
Hampshire, and Rolfe from Maine.

I still hope to order from Raintree a black currant: Ben More, and a rhubarb:
Crimson Cherry (the rhubarb root for only $5.95), as well as a pear rootstock
to graft onto for a friend.

This is rather ambitious, for I've not tried my hand at grafting besides a
first try at chip bud grafting last summer, which went quite well. Worth
studying and trying my best.

Guess you could say I'm in exploration mode...

Dave Liezen, E. WA z6, where 3" snow fell today so far and another deep
freeze (minus 2) is forecast.

  • [NAFEX] Spring Hopes Eternal, david liezen, 02/23/2011