nafex - [NAFEX] Black Beauty Sour Cherry

  • From: Richard D Hansen <rdhans01@louisville.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Beauty Sour Cherry
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:14:05 -0500

I finally got the problem solved so I can post to this list. Otherwise I
have been lurking for some time.

Several years ago I got a Sour Cherry from Jung's nursery when I lived
in Urbana, IL (zone 5a, I think). It was too large to move when I did
so I had no choice but to leave it there. The new owners cut part of it
down but I was able to get quite a bit of scionwood. It was a really
beautiful tree with a nice round shaped canopy about 12 feet high and
spectacular in the spring. It had very dark juice and flesh and was semi
sweet. I have contacted someone to do some custom grafting, since I do
not know how to graft yet. I do not know how easy it is to graft at
this time of year or what is the preferred rootstock. I would be happy
to share the scionwood with anyone interested. It would be nice to keep
this cherry perpetuated.

Richard Hansen
Louisville, KY
Zone 6b

  • [NAFEX] Black Beauty Sour Cherry, Richard D Hansen, 02/23/2011