nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:38:14 -0500

I'm in eastern MA, and the "local" apples come from zones 5 and 6, so my
experience might be different from yours. I've embedded comments after the
ones I've eaten.

Ginda

On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:32 PM, refugia wrote:

> I'm looking a trying these apple varieties. Can any of you who've eaten
> these apples attest to their merits?
>
> Williams Pride
Reasonably nice apple. Didn't knock my socks off, but I enjoy it. Supposed
to be resistant to common apple diseases. Nice crisp texture, attractive,
looks a bit like golden delicious, but I've never seen russeting on it.

> Junaluska
> Liberty
A terrific apple, especially if you like a good Macintosh. It tastes similar
to Macintosh, but can be grown where it's too warm to grow good Macs.
(Central Jersey produces good Libertys, and terrible Macs.) It's on the
small side, and attractive -- looks a lot like a Mac. Relatively soft, like
a Mac. It keeps a little better than a Mac, but I don't consider it a good
keeper. The flavor is sweet, tart, and aromatic. Overripe, it makes
terrific juice. (Very over-ripe, it develops weird off-flavors.) This is
considered a relatively easy-to-grow apple, as it's resistant to scab and
some other stuff.

> Cripps Pink
I've only had these (pink lady) grown on the west coast and shipped east.
It's an extremely pretty apple, but I wasn't wild about the flavor. I found
it a bit bland. But it's very pleasant to eat with a nice texture, and seems
to keep/ship well.