nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hazelnuts in NC OT?

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hazelnuts in NC OT?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:42:11 -0500

I am trying to remember where I ordered them from....
it was a place that specialized in nuts, different varieties, and crosses... also it had many hybrid oak trees.
I am thinking it was a place on the west coast.
I don't know if they were blight resistant or not, but they just grew VERY slowly... there was a whole row of them so there should have been enough pollination.
I don't think I would plant them again, not in this area. But you are in another area! maybe it would be different there.
I didn't see warped or deformed leaves.
But, those years were drought years, and they were out where I could not irrigate them.
We lost a lot of young apple trees about the same time.
Amy
now in NC
nary a filbert to be seen anywhere around here....

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu> wrote:
On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Amelia Hayner wrote:

> they did not grow well for me in VA.

Amelia, did you try the new blight resistant varieties?  And, what problem did you have with them?  I ordered some of the new blight-resistant strains from Raintree this spring to give them a try.

Scott z7 MD

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----