nafex - [NAFEX] Caution on Muscovy Ducks

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Caution on Muscovy Ducks
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:57:49 -0500

Last fall the US Fish & Wildlife Services passed a regulation that no one could keep Muscovies as pets or for other domestic purposes other than meat - or transfer them - they were to be "wild only" and belonged only in their native area, Texas.
http://regulations.justia.com/view/166727/

There was significant outcry from the startled owners. F&W said they were "surprised" that people were using Muscovies for many domestic purposes (including egg-laying, showing, etc.) and the rule has been revisited. See article:

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-industry-news/2010/10/22/muscovy-duck-regulations-revisited.aspx

But anyone with Muscovies should keep an eye on this.

Word to wise,
Barb Rosholdt
z7