nafex - Re: [NAFEX] paw paw

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] paw paw
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:17:04 -0600

Pawpaws don't flower or crop especially well in shade. They like to spread via clonal rootstocks while waiting for something to happen to open up the canopy. For Ernest to have have found one with actual fruit on it puts him way ahead of the average Tennessee wild plant/fruit explorer. We found a grave of them surrounding a sinkhole and cave, in turn surrounded by cow pasture so there was plenty of light from all sides. Other than that patch we have only occasionally seen fruit or even flowers on pawpaws. Up and down our creek there are all sorts of patches suppressed by forest and too far apart to be pollinated properly. Donna