nafex - [NAFEX] American Chestnut

  • From: Adrienne Bordo <beartown@toast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American Chestnut
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:30:07 -0500

Great information and I thank all of you who responded to my question.
The tree books I have looked at seem to show quite a few species at
the limit of their northern range just about 1/3 of the way up Lake
Champlain, that would be about 100 miles from here. It is always
several degrees warmer from Burlington VT south.
I have 2 CLADRASTIS lutea (kentukea) about 4 yrs old that seem to be
thriving, several Osage orange that are hanging on by the skin of
their teeth (too much shade is part of the problem), several species
of Catalpa and a few other things, but have killed a number of other
species.
The general idea seems to be that it is better to have proven blight
resistant trees than trees from a blight free area that have never
been selected for resistance. Finding blight resistant butternuts will
be the next challenge, mine is about to die.

Adrienne