nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Resistant butternut

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Resistant butternut
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:33:08 -0600

Dr. Charles Spurgeon penned an article some time back - don't recall if it
was printed in the NNGA annual proceedings or in the quarterly NNGA Nutshell
newsletter - detailing some of his 25+ years of experiences with some of the
butternutXJapanese walnut and butternutXheartnut hybrids he'd grown.
As mIEKAL's experience shows, resistance varied and was not a 'given' just
because of a plant having J.ailantifolia as a parent - whether it was the
species or a heartnut.

I have maybe 20 buartnuts planted & over the years I've lost 3 of them
to canker, so the cross does not guarantee resistance. But then again
every native butternut on our various properties died years ago....

~mIEKAL