nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Resistant butternut - Hybrids

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Resistant butternut - Hybrids
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:38:00 -0600

Thanks for that Lucky.

For us northern growers the real issue beyond resistance is hardiness.
I'm pretty sure both Japanese Walnut & Heartnut are not hardy here
tho I am planting several varieties of Heartnut to see if that is the
case. Anything with a bit of butternut in the genes seems to have a
much better chance in Z4.

The one observation I've made in my planting is that the trees which
produce nuts that look more like butternuts tend to be less resistant.
The trees that produce nuts with the traditional heart shape coming
to a point, look to be healthier & in better shape.

My trees, which are from Bear Creek, were obviously in a very early
generation of breedings. Each tree produces nuts that are different
enough that I can tell from the look of the nuts which exact tree they
came from.

~mIEKAL