nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts in 4b?

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts in 4b?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:32:44 -0600

Tho I'm about 40 miles from Steve, I'm in a completely different (4b)
zone. I've got Layeroka & Skioka varieties going that have been
producing nuts for 5-6 years. In the early years they definitely
showed signs of being hit by blight, branches dying back & several
dying back to the ground, but they have all started growing more
vigorously than the blight & seem to be doing fine.

I also just came on some chinese chestnuts whose nuts are almost twice
the size /weight of the ones I'm growing. These trees are the same
age as mine & seem equally resistent to blight. My neighbor, Mark
Shepard, who grows acres & acres of various chestnuts, claimed to me
once that there is no such thing as a blight "free" chestnut.

~mIEKAL