nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts in 4b?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts in 4b?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:38:12 -0500

According to the book "Trees in Canada" by John Laird Farrar <Fitzhenry & Whiteside/Canadian Forest Service, 1995) the native range of the American chestnut Castanea dentata extends north in Vermont to very close to the Canadian border.

You might want to contact the
Canadian Chestnut Council
Secretary Mr. Charles Hooker
431068 19th Line
R. R. 2
Orangeville, Ontario
L9W 2Y9
<chuckh(at)sympatico.ca>

The annual memmbership fee is $20.

Ontario legislation restricts propagation of native material of this endangered species (it may sound odd but that's the way it is).

From past newsletters there are nut producing trees (some may be hybrids) in Nova Scotia. Possibly there may be trees in Quebec, you might canvass the members.

For information about the Society of Ontario Nutgrowers (there are members in other provinces) and its Eastern Ontario Chapter, see

<http://www.nutgrowing.org/stateorg.htm>

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Bordo" <beartown@toast.net>