nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw seed questions

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw seed questions
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:20:59 -0600

I read that the native Americans had taken all kinds of plants north, not just pecans but also pawpaws. Don't remember where I read it, but they said that the plants didn't crop because they didn't have cross pollination. For someone who could find such plants, the whole patch is one clone, they can be dug and moved. Someone said that about 50% survive if they are dug in summer and all the leaves stripped. For northerners who ever are surprised to come across pawpaws, it might be worthwhile to collect plants at least for others. Donna