nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperaturesurvived? Cultivar?

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperaturesurvived? Cultivar?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:58:26 -0600

The Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007 was devastating to heartnuts,
butternuts, Carpathian walnuts, mulberries, and American persimmons here,
but all my Asian persimmons were still comfortably dormant, and sustained no
damage at all; I was surprised.
All the aforementioned others had 6-10 inches of tender new growth, with
many of them killed back to ground level. 10 yr old Seedling heartnuts and
butternuts were killed dead. Big mature oaks and hickories in my forest were
killed back to the main trunk, and many have rapidly declined &/or died in
the interim.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY