nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties for mid-coastal Maine

  • From: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties for mid-coastal Maine
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:31:29 -0500

Hello Sam,

Rather than write to you directly, I thought that I would address the group.   Although I do have some ideas about what apples will do well in Penobscot, your question poses a larger issue.  It's one that many -perhaps all - growers face as they prepare to plant or add to an orchard large or small.  What varieties will do well in my own locale?  There is no one who can answer that question for everyone.  The country is too large and too diverse.  Still, your question is one that I am frequently asked - as you might imagine.   Here's how I answer it:  Find people in your area who are or have been growing trees and ask them what grows well.  If you don't know any fruit growers, fret not.  Fruit tree growers tend to be friendly folk.  When you see trees in someone's yard, stop and ask. As I was first planting trees years ago, I spend a lot of time tasting fruit from the old trees in the neighborhood and then grafted the ones I liked. Some I didn't even yet know the names.  Most did very well.  Old books and other historical records can also be a big help in learning about what will do well in your area.  Fairs and scion exchanges are also great places to meet other local growers and get access to local plant material.

Of course, even if you know an area well, making suggestions is tricky because personal tastes vary so greatly.  However, if you'd like some of  my thoughts about what would do well on the Blue Hill peninsula,  feel free to be in touch.

Regards to all,
John Bunker
Fedco
PO Box 520