nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperature survived? Cultivar?

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperature survived? Cultivar?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:09:42 -0500

I had a Yamagaki that survived for eight years in central Indiana, zone 5b.  Temperatures got down to -10 or below during that period.  Yamagaki is a male used for pollination, but it also sets some fruit.  The name means "mountain persimmon", so it may come from a cold environment.  I got my plant from Edible Landscaping, but they don't carry it anymore.  I moved recenty and bought the last plant they had.

My impression is that winter survival depends on whether the plant goes completely dormant before the weather gets really cold.  Other varieries such as Saijo, Hira-Tanenashi, and Great Wall didn't survive for me.

Fred