nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperature survived? Cultivar?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperature survived? Cultivar?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:16:08 -0500

I have been growing kakis for 8 years in 6b/7a Maryland and the lowest they
took has been -2F. I have not had any problem with spring freezes, just the
standard lack of hardiness which I observe by the amount of dieback in the
spring. Spring freezes seem to be more a problem further inland and are not
as big an issue in MD and NJ. The worst year I had was two years ago when my
Hachiya nearly died, it lost 2/3 of its branches. That year was not the year
of the coldest temperature, I think +2F was the coldest it got that winter,
but the overall amount of cold and wind was apparently worse. Hachiya is not
very hardy and it probably should have died by now. So Steve I'm not exactly
answering your question but I don't think spring freezes are our main
problem, its just severity of the cold and wind. I have found all of my
varieties completely hardy except Hachiya so I don't have much to add on
varieties. I have half a dozen of the Wye varieties since they are known
hardy on the eastern shore of Maryland. One fruited this year, Aizu
Michirazu, and I was impressed with the flavor.

Scott